Monday, April 27, 2009

DB 4.27

Hello everybody from the Community College of Aurora! There's snow on the ground right now, but there's some blue sky peeking in from the clouds. It was cloudy last night, raining yesterday afternoon, and perfectly sunny yesterday morning, and so goes the weather in the 303. I don't how L.B. dealt with it.

We haven't had much measurable success yet, but my companion (Elder Carrazco, straight from Chihuahua Mexico) and I have done some good things, such as encourage an apprehensive brother to receive the priesthood. We have a lot of potentials on the horizon at the moment, so hopefully we'll be able to capitalize. I've learned so much so far, such as how unbelievably unimportant my life was before this point, and how Heavenly Father can really come to the rescue if you simply have the humility to pray.

The first few weeks here in the Peoria ward (English-speaking) were pretty rough. My trainer and still current companion, Elder Carrazco, is awesome, but we had some troubles. 1) He had only been out 3 months longer than me (I'm actually older than him!). 2) We're serving in English, and he's not very confident with his English, so I had to step out of my comfort zone and do most of the talking, calling, encouraging, etc. 3) Not only was I brand new to our area, but he was just as new as me, so we knew NOTHING about the investigators, members, etc. 4) The two people we DID have set for baptism "ran away from home." 5) The area is huge, but we're one of the few who don't have a car. 6) We had the worst luck with bikes, including FIVE flat tires in one week. 7)Our personalities are different in many ways.

But now, in what little hindsight I have after 2 months in the field, I appreciate every single thing that happened. Every trial was for my good, and every experience had something from which to be learned. My companion and I are getting along amazingly right now, and the area is improving. I'm doing very well at the moment. Despite wanting DESPERATELY to serve in Spanish, I am realizing that I'm where I need to be.....for now. Haha.

-Elder Bradford

No comments:

Post a Comment