Monday, April 6, 2009

4.6 Elder Ek

Hallo from a smoky internet cafe in Vienna
I remember thinking at one point this week that I would have so much to write and say. I cannot remember when I thought that or why, because now I have nothing. Given my limited opportunity to write, I will try my best to recall on the fly
So last Monday night we had dinner with the Zickbauers, a young, hip couple with a very modest apartment in the 23rd district. Bro Zickbauer had served a mission in Ogden Utah and played pro soccer for a little while after that. They were totally nice, and we had the opportunity to eat a fajita-like meal without the fajita, a rare and welcomed dash of Mexican food into our lives.
Tuesday was Zone conference, where all the missionaries in and around Wien get together to hear from President Condie and teach each other too. Besides the wonderful Schnitzel and potato salad (which is nothing like the potato salad over in the states), there are a few LDS people in Wien who are legitimate opera singers (I forget if they were on tour or just staying here for a while). So we had a little private opera in the middle of zone conference. Very choice AND I could feel the spirit, so what more can you need?
Wednesday was the first time I taught a first lesson, and we taught two! The first was to a Serbian man who cleans an apartment complex on our same block. We had talked to him the week before for a while, so we knew him pretty well. Anyways, we gave him the first lesson while he was cleaning and while cars were rushing by on the street. Very difficult environment to feel the spirit. Still, Elder Whitsitt, the very same gangster out of Chicago previously refrenced, was able to convey the important parts of the message. I added some at the end too.
Later Wed, we met a man at our local church and taught him the first lesson in one of the rooms. May I simply say that the right enviornment can make all the difference. This time, I felt much more at ease and gave a decent chunk of the lesson (still not around 50%, but it's improvement!). I also believed that he was able to feel something in his heart, because I certainly did.
Thursday was soso, I got to talk to a guy in French and give him a card with our address. Unfortunately, he was leaving soon. He said he'd check it out on the church's website. My French has totally left me...Yikes. The rest of the day didn't go very well, as an appointment with an 18 year old fell out for the 4th time in a row and our efforts on the streets didn't bear much fruit.
Saturday we did some service and then watched General Conference at night. 10 AM session = 6pm here.
It was amazing to hear from the modern day prophets and apostles. This conference was easily to best I've experienced, no doubt due to my willingness to prepare beforehand by thinking about what questions I had.
Wow, it's just crazy to be out here. I just had another moment to think about that. Frankly, before my mission I took a lot of my spiritual growth just as it came, a lot of my testimony regarding truth. Now I am experiencing what it feels like to need it urgently. My life for these two years is this gospel, this church. It's my entire support, and it makes me realize how much conviction we must have if we are to be effective out here, to be good teachers and to simply be happy. I know I've taken it for granted before because I've had an easy life and so much material comfort available. Now that I'm entirely reliant upon the gospel, it's so different. Every day I want to learn and study earnestly. I've never wanted to learn so badly in my life. This desire is insatiable, and I appreciate that greatly. I want to be improve for my own sake and for the sake of everyone with whom I come in contact.
There has been much joy for my part and much grief, even in this past week. It's all a learning experience. All of it. That in itself will always give me hope.
Take care everyone!
Love,
Elder Ek

No comments:

Post a Comment